Friday, July 17, 2015

Becca Smith: "Fulfilled in Teaching My Children"

Ms. Becca I Knew I'd Be a Teacher
My name is Rebecca Smith and all my students and their friends call me Ms. Becca. I started playing violin when I was 5. I grew up in a very musical family. My mother is an excellent pianist and taught through all my growing-up years. All eight siblings played at least one instrument, and those gifted ones did several. 

I had excellent teachers and during my high school years we moved from Salt Lake City to Knoxville, TN for my father’s calling in our church, where we had an incredible opportunity to study with Mark Zelmanovich, the concert master of the Knoxville symphony. I was also able to be a part of the Knoxville youth symphony, a great program in the area.  

In the fourth grade I had written in one my school projects that I was going to be a music teacher when I grew up. After graduating Farragut High I went to BYU to further my education. I felt inclined to become more well-rounded and achieved a B.S. in Health Sciences. I have continually taught 1 or more students violin from the time I graduated high school. 

Serious Theory...for Children!?
After I had been married a short time, my sister-in-law was telling me about an amazing music program called Let’s Play Music her children were enrolled in. I was intrigued and the more I looked into it, the more I thought, "I’ve got to have my own future children do this!" The music theory and concepts that the program teaches were what I was most impressed with first, since I hadn’t heard of any other program that introduced these concepts so early! After a year (and a move back to Knoxville) I knew it was time to look seriously into Let’s Play Music because there were no teachers in Knoxville. I started teaching one class of four kids in 2007 while I was working full time and had a few violin students as well. Slowly I added more classes and have just loved watching this program bless the lives of children and their families learning and understanding music in such a fun way! 

Here Comes The Surprise:


Life can throw you some curve balls, for sure. My husband and I were surprised and excited when we found out during our first pregnancy we were expecting twins! With no parents in town at that time, I was nervous about how I would care for babies and keep the music classes going. But I said to myself, “Remember, you are teaching this for YOUR babies to do one day.” I did somehow work it out and got back into a great groove of juggling babies and teaching. 

Fast forward almost 2 years and, surprise! We were expecting triplets! I had
just started an amazing group of first-year students and knew I couldn’t let them down. I will never forget the great group of moms who were so sweet and understanding of my challenges. They were fine with starting 2nd year later the next year in January and going straight through the summer so I could “manage” my babies. I’m just in awe that I’ve been so blessed to teach awesome children in my community and to have my own family have a great start in music! Wouldn’t you know we have 5 boys and, wow, they need that balance of music to help them to do well academically and offset all the sports!

A Musical Community
The twins just graduated LPM this spring with the largest group of third years I’ve ever had: 17 students. The triplets have loved Sound Beginnings and will be starting red balloons this fall. I have absolutely loved being integrated into the community in this way and have enjoyed all the people we have come to meet. I think back to those few crazy years and remember feeling my head was just above the water. Still, I wouldn’t change a thing. I feel so fulfilled teaching my own children and grateful for the opportunity our family has had to get to know remarkable families in our community. These families are doing fantastic things with their kids and I’m so happy to be a part of it.

Learn more about Ms. Becca's classes in Knoxville, TN, at:  Beccasmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment