Thursday, January 28, 2016

Melissa Ashby: This is How Music is Taught

Hi, I'm Melissa. I grew up in Alberta, Canada. I now live in Hillsboro, Oregon with my husband and our 3 kids ages 14, 11 and 6.

This is How Music Should Be Taught
Music has played a big part in my life. I started playing piano when I was  9 and flute at 11. I was always involved in music lessons, bands, music productions, and choirs. I have  a B.S. in Child Development and have always enjoyed teaching. When I taught private piano lessons, I always tried to find ways to incorporate games and fun activities. The students could not seem to sit at the piano for 30 minutes! 

Then I found Let's Play Music! This is exactly how music should be taught! This was something I wanted to teach! I have been teaching Let's Play Music for 6 years now. I love it; I can't say enough wonderful things about it.  


Seeing is Believing
I started teaching LPM in Utah and after 2 years moved to Oregon. I didn't know anyone in Oregon except my in-laws. I asked my sister-in-law to send an email to her friends telling them about my sample class. With just one sample class, I filled 2 Red Balloon classes. These parents had no idea who I was, but they could see how amazing Let's Play Music is. This program sells itself.


I love that teaching LPM has taken me out of my comfort zone. Just last week I admitted to my current Red Balloon parents that my biggest fear when I first started teaching was singing in front of parents!  It terrified me!  Now, I don't even think twice about it. I am having too much fun! I break into song all the time, embarrassing my poor teenage son.

It Makes My Day
I have really enjoyed teaching my own children, although they can sometimes be the toughest students in the class. My youngest was 1 when I started teaching.  Let's Play Music has been a big part of his childhood. He is now in his 3rd year of LPM. I love listening to him sing all the time. I love his grasp on music theory. It makes my day when I hear him make up songs on the piano


I love learning. I really enjoyed college. Over the years I have enjoyed various community college classes and I'm currently doing an online program.  I love that with Let's Play Music I feel like I'm always learning and growing. Whether I'm brushing up my theory skills in order to answer an extremely inquisitive student or parent, rearranging classroom management strategies to help each child have the best experience, or attending an amazing LPM training or symposium, I love it all and feel like I am continually learning so much.

- Melissa Ashby, B.S.
Let's Play Music Teacher 

Sign up for my classes and watch a video of me teaching HERE

1 comment:

  1. I am Melissa's mother. I love to watch her teach although the times are few and far between since I live in Alberta Canada. When I go visit I love to see the children get excited about music and watch the expressions of happiness and discovery on their faces as they love to participate. I'm amazed at their instant grasp of theory, rhythm, and watch as they discover how music becomes a magical way to express themselves Melissa is a natural born teacher. Her love of music and her music abilities come shining through.

    ReplyDelete